Jesse Miller’s talk today gave us a lot to think about. He highlighted the need for us as future educators to (a) be responsible and conscious in our use of technology and (b) be ready to have open conversation about technology and technology use with students. This all through the lens that technology is not going away. On his website, Jesse says: “THE CONNECTED SOCIETY IS THE NEW NORMAL, WE KNOW IT, OUR CHILDREN EXPECT IT. WE HAVE CREATED THE REALITY.
Instead of fear mongering, we need to discuss, inform and model responsible technology use for our students. This led to the idea of digital citizenship. I think that this is a really important concept. I found this website   website with some good resources for teaching digital citizenship.

When talking about internet bullying, Jesse also mentioned Erase BC. I looked it up and found that not only does it have online portals where students can report issues, it also has an online support system for student and provides help to schools. The site also encourages students to share positive, caring stories from their community using #erase.

I was really shocked to hear how video gaming has become something of a professional sport. I found this documentary style video about it on YouTube.

Jesse also has a Ted Talk that I haven’t yet watched, but will hopefully find time for soon.